Today in this article I will show you how to install Oracle Database 12c.
We will use Oracle Automatic Storage Management (Oracle ASM) to store our database, take a look in my previous post about install and configure: Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a Standalone Server 12c.
1. Download Oracle Database 12c (Linux x86_64) installation packages: linuxamd64_12c_database_1of2.zip and linuxamd64_12c_database_2of2.zip
- Unpack package called: linuxamd64_12c_database_1of2.zip and after that, unpack package called: linuxamd64_12c_database_2of2.zip
It will be created a directory called database with the following content:
1.1 It's time to call the installation utility, execute: ./runInstaller
- For purpose of this how to, uncheck the option to receive security updates, let's email field blank and click --> Next.
- It will be presented a warning message, because we are ignoring the email field, just ignore it too and click --> Yes.
1.2 Next screen it will be presented the options to that we want to perform:
- Create and configure a database
- Install database software only ---> Choose this one.
- Upgrade an existing database
We will only install the database software binaries first, because I want to show you more in deep details the command "DBCA - Database Configuration Assistant".
1.3 Select "Single instance database installation" --> Next --> Next again to choose the language:
We are installing a single database, Oracle Real Application Clusters and Oracle Rac One Node, it will be discussed in a future posts.
1.4 The only option that as available is "Enterprise Edition" --> Next:
1.5 Setup Oracle Base and Oracle Home --> Next:
1.6 Setup groups to "oinstall" --> Next:
- Once again, I will not explain about the "Job Role Separation" or apply it for the purpose of our how to, please take a look at the link.
1.7 Next step is to check if all prerequisites are satisfied --> Next:
- As we are good DBA's and take's care about the environment, it will not complain about any failed prerequisite.
1.8 Last look in the summary screen, to check if everything is where it need's to be --> Install:
2.0 It will be required to execute as root user the script $ORACLE_HOME/root.sh:
Just pay attention to the "OK" button, because it is to be pressed only after finish the execution of the script.
2.1 During the script execution it will be prompt to setup the directory path to the: "dbhome", "oraenv" and "coraenv" scripts, that contains the variables of the Oracle Database environment --> Just "Press Enter":
2.2 Finally the last screen click --> Close.
- If you have followed step-by-step, it will be presented the following message:
"The installation of Oracle Database was successful."
See you in the next post!